Monday, June 23, 2014

Farewell Supper and 4th decor

This morning, ok well 2:45 a.m., I sent my Oilfield Man off to the Patch again.  We have been really lucky to have had him home as long as we did this time.  It looks like it will be at least two weeks before his boots are by our door again.  So, I wanted to fix him a delicious Sunday supper before he headed out.  On the menu was pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon, braised green beans and butter pasta.  Don't worry....I was thinking of y'all when I was preparing the farewell meal.  The first is the pork tenderloin.  My daddy has been making this for as long as I can remember.  It is really good with a side of spaetzle and red cabbage if you are feeling a little international and want to take a trip to Germany. 

Take a casserole dish and rack and spray liberally with nonstick spray.  These tenderloins usually come two in a pack.  I used just the one since it's only the three of us.  Sprinkle with as much pepper as you like.

Now smother the hell out of it with Dijon mustard.
 
Ok, this will take probably 4 slices of bacon.  You want to wrap it around the whole tenderloin. It should look like this...
 


Put it in a 375 degree oven and bake for 45 minutes or so depending on your oven.  Below you will see my oven was cooking a little warm last night.  SO, I got it a little over done, but it was still yummy!

PORK TENDERLOIN
 
1 pork tenderloin (approx. 1.5lbs)
Dijon mustard
black pepper to taste
4 slices bacon
 
Liberally season the pork tenderloin.
Smother with mustard
Wrap with 4 slices of bacon
Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until cooked to desired temperature. 
 
To accompany our yummy tenderloin, we needed a green.  Green beans are one of our faves around here.  This recipe came from my daddy as well.  Super easy and super delish.  The only part that sucks is having to snap all the beans...unless you have your own little minion that you can put to work.  Mine seemed to think he was not eligible for this line of work.  Wrong indeed!!!
 
I picked up 2 lbs of fresh green beans at the store the other day.  Snap the ends and rinse really well.
 
 
Slice an onion in half and then slice thin half moon slices.  Also, you will need 2 gloves of garlic minced.  Set these aside.
 
Now that your prep is done, heat a dutch over medium heat and dice up your 6 slices of bacon.  I use scissors to snip the pork goodness straight into the pot.  Once the bacon is browned, add the onions and garlic and cook until onions are transparent.  Make sure to stay right there and stir often to keep your garlic from browning and burning!!!  NO GOOD if that happens!!!!
Add 1/2 chicken broth and bring to a boil.  Once it starts bubbling, add your rinsed beans and lower heat to low. 
 
Let these guys simmer until limp...which usually takes about 30-45 minutes. 
 
 
BRAISED GREEN BEANS
 
2 lbs green beans, snapped ends and then rinsed
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
6 slices bacon, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
black pepper to taste
1/2 can chicken broth
 
 
Snap the ends and rinse green beans.
Snip bacon into dutch oven over medium heat and cook until browned.
Add onion and garlic and sauté until onions are transparent.
Add black pepper and chicken broth.  When it comes to a boil, add beans.
Turn stove down to low and simmer until green beans are limp.
 
Serve this up to your lucky little family tonight.  They will thank you!! Those kiddos will love these green beans.  I mean they are cooked in bacon!!!!
 

 
 
On to my latest Crafty project.  I have been snagging up pallets from our local corner store the past couple weeks and decided to finally do something with the stack on the side of the house.  Honestly, it is starting to look like our house is the warehouse on the corner.  Not so appealing...
 
See that one on the right?  That one will be transformed into a patriotic decoration by the end of this post!!!
 
Along with my little guy, we ran down to Hobby Lobby and picked up some acrylic paint in Red, White, and Blue.  How did I not have any in my stash?  I seemed to have "every other color under the moon. " - a direct quote from the hubs as he is so fond of my growing supply collection. 
 
I determined which boards would be what color and instructed my handy helper to get started painting the blue, not to cross the lines.  I failed to pay attention to my own instructions and got carried away with the red (as you can see).  No fear, the little guy was quick to point out I was painting red on a white board.  Good thing he is so much like his daddy...
 
A few months back, we rode down to the National Seashore here in Corpus Christi.  There were tons of starfish that were scattered all over.  We collected tons of them for future projects.  Friday was the day!!! I took 9 out of our stash and painted them white as well.  The acrylic paint dries really quick.  So, you won't have to wait to long to do your final assembly.
I was outside chatting it up with the girl across the street about how I was going to adhere these bad boys to the pallet.  We weren't sure if the hot glue gun would do the trick.  She suggested some super duty sticky stuff 3M makes that she thought might work...and it did for a few minutes.  South Texas is H.O.T and HUMID!!!!  It didn't hold up.  These little guys slowly started making their way down.  So, I had to pull the glue gun out and pray for the best.  IT WORKED!!!!!  Those beautiful stars have not budged since I glued them to their new home.  Drum roll.......
 
What do you think?  I love it!  It takes two of my favorite things (American pride and the beach) and displays them perfectly on our porch!!! 
Now I needed something for the door.  Spring is officially over so I needed to take the cute door hanger filled with hydrangea down and put up something a little more patriotic! I saw on Pinterest a link (https://www.etsy.com/listing/176354885/patriotic-monogram-door-hanger-with?utm_source=Pinterest&utm_medium=PageTools&utm_campaign=Share) to an Etsy shop where a lady had a patriotic monogram.  I was like "I can do that!!!"  So I did!
 
 Now, don't look to close.  I didn't tape off my lines.  It is more rustic!  ;)  I free handed those stripes!  As for the stars, they are from a stencil I made by cutting a star into some card stock and sponged the white paint.  I like burlap with it, so I made a hanger out of some burlap ribbon I had.
 
Our porch is on it's way to Americana décor heaven!  I hope you love this as much as I do!!!!
 
Guess I better get going!  My helper said he has worked up a terrible hunger!  Until next time....
 



No comments:

Post a Comment