Sunday, January 6, 2013

Take the time....

Happy New Year, y'all!  I hope everyone has enjoyed the first few days of our new beginning.  As everyone reflects on their new resolutions I thought I would share a few thoughts.  I read somewhere the top resolutions are workout more, lose that unwanted fluffiness, quit smoking...but what I found so surprising was the top one on this list was spend more time with family.  Hmm.  It made me stop and assess my own life.  That has never been a resolution for me.  Why not?  My family means the most to me.  Why would I not resolve to spend more time with them?  Is it because that before last year I have always lived with 15 miles from home?  Maybe.  Then I realized, maybe spending more time with family (for me) means reaching out more; reaching out to our extended family; not just blood but by the grace of friendship as well. 

As an only child as well as an Army brat, you learn early on that family is not necessarily someone who shares the same bloodline.  I have family that I share no blood connection.  I am sure you do too.  The best part of this is that we CAN choose our family, just not all of them.  :)   When you are blessed to "choose" your family, hold onto them.  Make sure they know you think of them often.  Miles apart should not keep you from expressing your love for them.  I am guilty of this myself.  I have let 1000 miles draw me away from what was instilled in me at an early age.  I know I should make sure that the people I love the most know it. 

So, my resolution this year is to take the time to let the people that mean the most to me know how much I appreciate them in my life.  I want to do this the old-fashioned way.  I want to take the time to write quick notes to let them know how much they mean.  My Grandma Winn (the epitome of a Southern Belle) always took the time to send a "just because" note.  She was a super busy woman who truly never had a minute to spare, but she never let that on. She always made you feel your time was much more important than hers.  I want to be like that.  I want to take moments out of my busy schedule to let you know I care. 

I challenge you to do the same.  Take a moment or two and let someone you love know just how much they really mean to you.  Life is a precious gift and can be snuffed out at any time. 

Hope to hear from you soon!  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment